Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Straightforward/Environmental Portrait


Bryan Arndt, 23, shoots pool at Paddy's with girlfriend on Feb. 9; a relaxed Wednesday afternoon for the two of them. Arndt started playing pool at age 21 due to extreme boredom. He is now one of the most skilled players in Coeur d'Alene, ID. He also plays on Lakers team #1 of the Kootenai County Pool League.

During this shoot I heard Arndt say that he, "...would never spend a thousand dollars on a pool stick... well, maybe."

2 comments:

  1. the one thing that jumps out at me every time I look at this shot are the leading lines. I love how the lines on the ceiling and the pool table direct you to the subject of the photo. The perspective of this shot is what distinguishes it as a portrait and not a snapshot. I like the intensity of the guy's expression and how the light is falling on his hand supporting the cue that's about to strike the ball. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Mike but am curious what a photo taken slightly closer to the subject, near the right hand middle pocket viewable in the photo would look like. Could one produce a compromise between the leading lines and simplifying the background a little bit. The background is very interesting, sets the scene and adds a lot of additional details but I wonder if all those details are needed and if there were a good way to show more of the subject and immediate action. As it is, it is a strong photo. I'm just wondering of rethinking it a little bit could make it better.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.