Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Enviromental Portrait- Anusara Yoga Practitioner

Don Bacon performs the Parsva Bakasana or Side Crane Pose on Saturday at the Garden Street Yoga Studio in Coeur d'Alene. Demonstrating that the execution of the pose requires strength, balance, flexibility and proper alignment, he choses to practice yoga to overcome arthritis in his knees, hips and back.
____________________________________________________________________
Metadata: 18mm, 1/30 sec at f/4.5, 800 ISO

7 comments:

  1. My first, instinctive reaction to this photo is WOW! Yes, there are a couple of really small things that could be improved including the picture on the back wall, getting his head out of that corner where the white board is and getting his toes in the frame. But overall, I love the close-up feel, the low camera angle the golden glow of the floor contrasting the darker upper corner of the room and the general mood of the picture. Most importantly, I think it captures a moment both in his facial expression and in the pose that is unique and attention grabbing. I would be surprised if this isn't one of the strongest photos turned in for this assignment despite the few imperfections. There is quite a bit here that captures what Jerome was talking about in class in my opinion. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your caption is very effective also but I had some trouble with my own so I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is seriously awesome! The perspective is great. You really captured a great moment with this man. The only downfalls with this photo, as Andreas mentioned, are pretty minor things. The white board and light fixture are slightly distracting, but not bad. Great use of light coming in from the left! Was there a window there?

    Really nice job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback!

    I took this picture at 9:30 in the morning. My subject was facing the window--Thank God-- I tried multiples angles and because the light was so poor, every time I would move, the speed would change and so would my exposure.

    I have some horribly exposed pics and some with camera shake. I did capture one of him without the YADRA stemming from the lower half of his body, but his head was not up.
    Internally, I was so frustrated that I had a Tourette meltdown in my head. My internal dialogue was reduced to...let's just say gibberish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marily, I can totally relate to your "inner dialoge"! I had it all summer long last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job choosing such an interesting subject. This photo captures the essence of concentration, peace, and strength perfectly. I agree with Andreas and Mike, maybe you could've shifted your position a little to the left to get his toes in the frame. If I saw this photo in a newspaper, there's no doubt that I'd read the article. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic subject! this photo has alot of power and the old guy looks like it dosent even hurt. great job

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.