Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Portrait Assignment



February 8th 2011, Theatre Director and Instructor at NIC, Joe Jacoby, staring into a comedian mask in his empty classroom.
Joe has been a teacher at NIC for many years and has been the director of such plays as "The Laramie Project", Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure", and "Almost Maine" among many others. His unique teaching methods, quirky sense of humor, and rapport with students, along with his retro peacenick persona, has made him the most highly regarded "hippie" of the NIC staff.

3 comments:

  1. I think the second photo is a better choice than the first because the exposure is more solid and the background is less distracting. I wish there was a better storytelling element(s) in the shot showed his background in theatre. The mask looks neat, but there's not enough of it in the frame to tell what it is exactly. Of course the caption helps, but I still wonder if moving more to the side of him could have made a better composition for the photo. Maybe the side of his face looking directly at the mask from the side would have made an interesting photo with a better balance. He looks like an interesting dude so it looks like you picked a good subject for you portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree on all accounts. The timing of our sitting was just not very desirable and it was a bit difficult to come up with anything truely interesting due to lighting constraints and other factors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just go ahead and agree with both of you. I like the drama that the side lighting adds to the photo but there is not much of a story to be told in it. Otherwise, it is very good and I like the simplicity, facial expression and the lights and darks that contrast nicely throughout the image. The gold, red and purple colors work well together to give the photo some pop.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.