Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Independent Lab Time for Feb. 9th Class

    Sorry I won't in class this week, but I had a family emergency that required me to fly to California for the week. But being the tyrant that I am, I have something for you to do for class.
    It's time for peer editing in the Mac lab.
    I want you to team up in pairs (not the people you sit next to in class) and look over each others whole take for the portrait assignment and see which one is the best that you can find.
    Skim through them to see which one(s) captures your eye and make note of them. Then go through each one and look for those visual elements we discussed in class (moment, emotion, mood, perspective, surprise, quality of light, etc.) and make notes on the portraits and the elements they contain. Make notes (kudos and criticism) on the focus, exposure, composition, framing and the edit from the outside edges of the frame inward.
    Now see if the picture that you picked as the top image matches what the photographer chose for their final edit and discuss the image. If it doesn't, discuss the differences and add that to your comments.
    Send me an email (jerome@jeromepollos.com) with your comments before leaving the lab for the evening.
    Then I want you to read Chapter 18 about Turning Pro and then we'll discuss this and the "Assignments" chapter in class next week. And start thinking about your "Person at Work" assignment due Feb. 23.
    Your person at work assignment should be someone who has a job that offers a lot of visual elements with either the location, tools, activity, etc. Remember, don't set yourself up for failure by highlighting someone who sits in an office all day. Let me know if you have any questions or have an idea, but need some direction.
    I'll try to get critiques and grades for your portrait assignment out to you by the end of the weekend.
    Good job crew and thanks for working independently this week. I really appreciate it.

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.