The blog serves as a platform for North Idaho College photojournalism students to post their images, share ideas, ask questions and provide feedback on the work created for the class.
I'm working on my caption right now, and the first sentence is easy... but I'm really struggling with the second sentence. Can someone give me an example of a "why" sentence?? I'm not really sure what exactly that part is supposed to explain...
Take a look at the caption below my photos in my Portrait post below. The "why" question is simply a statement that expresses why this photo is important or interesting... at least this is how I understand it. I think my second sentence does an acceptable job... I hope. Good luck!
I think the second statement may vary a little depending on the type of portrait you shot, but like the others said it should tell the "why" of the portrait, probably giving a little more insight into the individual and what made them a good candidate for the portrait shot.
It seems like the amount of detail you provide for the "why" statement might depend on how much information the portrait provides about the person.
Basically you want to give us a little insight that expands on what you told us in the first sentence.
Example:
Joe Smith, 92, repairs a neighbor's riding lawn mower Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011 at his garage near Hauser Lake. Smith began working on Model T's with his father and grandfather at an early age and since retiring, he often provides his services for free as a way to help his fellow neighbors. "I make enough money to survive and I get bored," Smith said about his generosity. "If I wasn't helping people, I would just sit around the house and wither away. I might as well be doing something useful."
Take a look at the caption below my photos in my Portrait post below. The "why" question is simply a statement that expresses why this photo is important or interesting... at least this is how I understand it. I think my second sentence does an acceptable job... I hope. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYeah, my understanding is that it's just why you decided on the subject. Like as if you were doing a story on someone.
ReplyDeleteI think the second statement may vary a little depending on the type of portrait you shot, but like the others said it should tell the "why" of the portrait, probably giving a little more insight into the individual and what made them a good candidate for the portrait shot.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like the amount of detail you provide for the "why" statement might depend on how much information the portrait provides about the person.
Also look at Marily's second sentence. It does a good job of saying why we should be interested in her photo.
ReplyDeleteBrittney,
ReplyDeleteI also struggled quite a bit with the "why" so I combined both "why's" Why I chose my subject and why he does yoga. I hope this helps.
Basically you want to give us a little insight that expands on what you told us in the first sentence.
ReplyDeleteExample:
Joe Smith, 92, repairs a neighbor's riding lawn mower Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011 at his garage near Hauser Lake. Smith began working on Model T's with his father and grandfather at an early age and since retiring, he often provides his services for free as a way to help his fellow neighbors. "I make enough money to survive and I get bored," Smith said about his generosity. "If I wasn't helping people, I would just sit around the house and wither away. I might as well be doing something useful."
Thanks Jerome! Your example is very helpful.
ReplyDelete