Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Cost of War Photography

Read.

The Inner Lives of Wartime Photographers

3 comments:

  1. This was a really eye opening article. Especially since war photography is something that I have been interested in persuing. It seems like the incidents involving photojournalists has has increased since vietnam. Or maybe it's just that it's more broadcasted. But this was very moving especailly the dedication these people have. And the toll the criticism they take has on them is devastating. Really glad you posted this. It's given me a whole new view on these photographers and journalists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. War photography has got to be the toughest branch of photojournalism out there. Besides the obvious danger involved, it was eye opening to read on page two about the ethics and morals of combat photographers, such as taking pictures of wounded but not helping them, and in the one case, photographing the enemies firing at the U.S. military.

    The hardest thing I think would be the emotional toll of this sort of photojournalism. It would be hard to witness the extent of devastation involved with war and yet remain emotionally and mentally stable.

    I have utmost respect for those brave and strong enough to take on the responsibility of reporting the news of war. Thanks for posting this Jerome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It amazes me to think that there are photographers that are willing to put themselves at risk of dying just to get photographs. I can't even imagine being in a situation where I would be taking photographs of someone that needs help, and not helping them.
    Also, it's insanely crazy to read that a person who was affected by a landmine and lost their legs would be willing to, and actually want to head back over to the place where the accident occurred. I have an unbelievable amount of appreciation for war photographers' courage and I am amazed by their extreme committment to their job.
    It's sad that most people don't realize the other side when they view a war photo... they don't think about what the photographer had to go through to get the image.

    I also looked at the photos of the burn victims that attempted suicide. Those were some powerful photos. I'm really beginning to realize by viewing more photos the importance of research in captions because it would be hard to understand why setting yourself on fire is so common in these countries without some background info.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.