Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Person at Work- Segundo Intento!!!



Layn Hamilton, Christian tattoo artist and owner of Holy Roller Tattoo located in Post Falls, cleans an area he is about work on in continuation of his client 's "sleeve tattoo." He repaired Dustin Willey's initial sailboat tattoo performed by someone else, and built an ocean inspired artistic theme around his arm.




Layn is recently ordained Christian Preacher and self-taught tattoo artist that began learning how to tattoo in 2001. He is tattooing the arm of a customer that has been his loyal patron since the opening of the shop in 2009. Last year Dustin moved to Moses Lake, WA. Dustin does not mind the drive because he likes the quality of Layn's work and he trusts him.





After designing and stenciling a "message in a bottle," Layn looks for the ideal placement of his design. For this particular tattoo, he wanted it to look random but also to harmonize with the rest of the sleeve.

____________________________________________________________
Jerome and classmates at large... SOS, I have developed a crippling disease. I am allergic to captions. I have hives all over my brain and fingers.
I DO NOT like captions!!!


I got frustrated with the assignment so I selfishly took these pictures as well.


3 comments:

  1. Of your two posts, I like your new overall shot the best for that category but I wish the hat of the guy on the right would not protrude onto the face of the guy in the background. In the setting given, there really does not seem like there is any way to simplify the background so I think you did very well for the conditions given. Anything else would have been messing with the photo which would be unethical.

    I also like your new detail shot where the artist is applying the template to the customer's arm. It ties the action together very nicely and has not real distracting elements.

    For your medium shot, Maureen and I decided that the photo of the customer lying on his back getting the tattoo from your first set of photos would be a good choice because it shows what getting a tattoo is all about and adds the most story telling aspects to your set.

    Maureen also thinks we are over thinking the whole thing and missing the point of what Jerome wants from us. I agree but I have to admit that I have been trying to produce what Jerome wants without fully understanding it. On my photos he comments that I need something like a hand in the photo to tie in my detail shots with my subject but his photo does not have a hand in it. I am focusing on the hand rather than tying in the shots. Maureen is right and I am focusing on the details rather than the idea behind the details. I need much more practice and that is clear.

    I think you have some solid shots and you are in good shape for our assignment. We are worrying over tiny details too much. I think you have a couple of good options in the two sets you have posted to turn in on Wednesday. Good job! Now relax… you earned it.

    By the way, I love the photo of the dog. What a character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better results than your first take I think. I really like the caption that tells of him being a minister because it helps explain the cross tattoos on his face. For some reason the crosses were the first thing I noticed in the pictures of him. I like the detail shot too. Works nice and is a good change from the typical needle shot for a detail.

    And captions get easier. I've written so many for The Sentinel that it's almost second nature now.

    The picture of the dog is funny because I have almost the same exact picture of my dog and it's one of my favorite photos I've ever taken. Working

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the guys on here Marily ... much better. The detail shot is rocking with a good, frame-filling composition and is a clean read. The overall works too. The background, Layn's focus and the customer all keep the eyes busy. Like Andreas pointed out, the bill of the hat is a little bothersome, but it doesn't kill the photo.
    And the medium shot here does work, but there were some stronger selects from your previous shoot. This one seems to hide a bit of the activity with some business.
    Good job Marily.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.