Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Person at Work - Attempt #3

Ok, I tried one more time.  Why do I always seem to choose challenging lighting conditions?  At least I am getting comfortable with them and getting lots of good practice.  I was having trouble getting my camera to auto focus.

Environment

Medium Option #1

Medium Option #2

Detail Option #1

Detail Option #2

For the environmental photo the one I selected seemed a solid choice.  For the medium shot, I really like the silhouette but the one with the guy standing in the engine compartment is probably a better choice and for the detail, I like the anti-freeze dripping into the pan but the other one has lots of metal and a groovy, golden oil sheen that might make it a more interesting choice even though I wish I had framed it a little better.

I will probably end up using the photos from my Attempt #2 set simply because they are sharper but I really thought this showed promise except that I had few keepers due to camera shake and motion blur.  I wanted to keep the ISO, and thus the noise, as low as possible and that was a mistake.  Too bad!

Whadda y'all think?

* * * * * * * * * * EDIT * * * * * * * * * *

After reading Jerome's comment about needing a better detail shot,  I added these two but I am not sure if the first two qualify as a detail shot.


I prefer the first photo above to the second one but the light coming
out of the guy's head bothers me.  Maybe I am being too nitpicky.

This photo might just not be close enough for a detail shot.

3 comments:

  1. I think as a whole you're better off with your other stuff,especially your second take. But I do happen to really like the medium shot of the guy under the hood. The perspective is sweet. I don't like the silhouette shot; it doesn't really tell me anything about the guy's job. Obviously a caption would help that matter, but the picture is lacking too much information.

    The overall does a pretty nice job of showing the environment, I just wish the light wasn't so bright/blown out on his face.

    I don't know that detail shot #1 works. I like the second one better, although it might be more effective to see more of the tool that's cropped out in the left.

    Nice job though. Was it hard to stay out of everyone's way? Was this at Les Schwab?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall is good — nice moment and shows the subject dodging hazards and working in his environment. Medium two is better — adds a little personality. Do you have anything else for a detail. These two are a little too static and need a hand or something that gives a good depiction of what their environment is. It's looking good Andreas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Details are a hard concept to grasp sometimes. It not just get a shot of something that's closer than a medium shot. It's about finding items or a person's interaction with the items that help tell the story. Tools are easy, but they have to be able to give a little insight into how the person uses them or what is at their disposal. Like the tool box detail shot I posted as an example, it's a boring, but it give the viewer a little insight into how many different files, rasps, etc. that a farrier uses in his job.
    These you included, can fit the bill and actually mix a little medium shot with details. Sometimes those can lead to similar looking images.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.