Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Discussion Photos

After struggling with our current assignment and resigning myself to having to reshoot it, I decided to look around at other photos that met the criteria for an environment, medium and detail shot.  These are a few examples that caught my attention.

Environment
Photographer Laurent Van Der Stockt took this shot in the war-torn
Chechen capital of Grozny in August 1996.

Medium
No information given

Detail
Photo by David Blumenfeld

Why I picked these photos:
The first photo uses juxtaposition to create interest.  This is something that I had not been looking for while trying to remember the 972 different things we have discusses in class as I am trying to get a good exposure without a distracting background.  It is hard to concentrate on what I am trying to do and think about all the various factors that create a good photograph at the same time.  Good thing I am getting lots of practice.

The second photo has something unusual that we do not see everyday.  With my particular subject, the Liberty Tax Waver, I had a very difficult time finding something unusual to make my photo stand out.  I may very well have to find an  entirely different subject to make this work out.  This has been on my mind since my first shoot and I have been racking my brain to come up with the unusual detail or camera angle that could provide such a thing given the conditions at hand.

The third photo could have just been a photo of the guy's head.  This presentation of the back of a viewfinder in a camera shows the same information in a creative new way.  It is a different way of looking at the same thing, presenting it in an unusual way.  However, this particular example may very well have been Photoshopped (the added name certainly was) and is more about the photography than the subject in the viewfinder.  It is something different none the less.

2 comments:

  1. I'm confused how the first and last photos portray a person at work. I want to read the second photo's caption. The first and second are definitely solid photos. I'm not sure I like the last one much for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I was just looking for inspiration and things I could try for my shoot. None of there are intended to be a person at work. They had interesting ways of portraying something unique and that is why I picked them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.