I also might try another job for this assignment and scratch this whole thing too. I just have to think about how satisfied I am with these photos and if I have the time to try it all again.
P.S. I'm not sure on the captions if we need to repeat the same information in all three of them i.e. name, age, date, etc. So for now I just put that info in the overall photos. I was hoping Jerome would give sample captions with the sample photos.
Overall:

Jake Tipton, 27, tattoo artist at Inked Envy, prepares his workspace for his next client Feb. 22. Tipton has been tattooing in the area for six years, formerly working at The Electric Crayon on Appleway Avenue until he was hired at Inked Envy in June.

Jake Tipton, 27, tattoo artist of six years, prepares ink before doing a stencil for a color tattoo on a client at Inked Envy, Feb. 22. The stencil is the first step in doing a tattoo, Tipton explained, as it is the outline of the work to be done. After the stencil, Tipton will fill it in with color and shading.
(exif: 17mm, 1/60, f3.2, ISO 500)
Normal:

Tipton prepares his tattoo machine for a color tattoo on a client. Tipton insists that the commonly-used term "tattoo gun" is incorrect. "A gun is made to kill; my machine only inflicts pain," he said.
(exif: 50mm, 1/80, f2.0, ISO 500)

Tipton looks at his electric power supply as he calibrates his tattoo machine for work on his next client's color tattoo. Each tattoo is different, he explained, and requires different calibration depending on color, shading and other factors. Tipton says that the tattoo will only be as good as the time and effort spent preparing for it.
(exif: 50mm, 1/60, f2.0, ISO 400)

Tipton tattoos a bar code for Evan Williams whiskey on a client with the same name as the liquor. Tipton has become renown for his precision with his work, particularly with lettering. After completing the barcode, Tipton scanned it with his phone's barcode scanner which indeed recognized it as the Evan Williams' barcode.
(exif: 128mm, 1/60, f2.8, ISO 1000. I hand held it for this shot, which is the equivalent of 192mm on a 35mm sensor. Gotta love Pentax in-body shake reduction)
-------------EDIT----------------
After reading Jerome's comment, I chose a couple more photos. I really don't like my detail shots of his "tools" very much, so I still want to stick with a shot of him tattooing up close. But, I did find a medium shot that might work where he's not repeating the same action in the detail shot. And, I think it has a moment in it. Not sure though, I'm still finding "the moment" to be by far the most challenging aspect of photojournalism for me. This guy did not change facial expressions very often. It seems like the "moments" that I had to choose from were serious face, normal face, or somewhat happy face. This one shows the latter, and maybe a sense of pride in his work that he finished.
Also, I chose a detailed shot that people wouldn't think they're getting flipped off in. I like the other one better, but in all 10 or 15 that I shot, he had his middle finger on the guys leg for stability, so those are all out the window I guess. This one is OK I guess.
Medium:

Tipton leans back and looks at the work he just completed on a client's color tattoo. Tipton has been working on the piece for about a month so far. Once completed is complete, it will fill the client's entire back.
Detail:

I'll think of a caption later. I'm too mentally drained right now.
Here's a couple more options for the medium shot. Let me know if you think these ones are better than the others I posted.


(This one might only be able to be used as an overall because in the assignment instructions it says the medium photo needs to show the subject's face. I just kind of liked the perspective on this one.)

ONE MORE EDIT-------------------
I promise I won't post any more photos up after this. I'm just struggling with the whole editing process. I overlooked this one that could work well as a detail shot instead of him tattooing up close for the detail, which would allow me to use a tattooing shot for the medium. The tools he has aren't the most interesting, but I think the close up detail on his tattoos and his shirt make up for it and give good insight into his character. What do you guys think?

Also, I chose a detailed shot that people wouldn't think they're getting flipped off in. I like the other one better, but in all 10 or 15 that I shot, he had his middle finger on the guys leg for stability, so those are all out the window I guess. This one is OK I guess.
Medium:

Tipton leans back and looks at the work he just completed on a client's color tattoo. Tipton has been working on the piece for about a month so far. Once completed is complete, it will fill the client's entire back.
Detail:

I'll think of a caption later. I'm too mentally drained right now.
Here's a couple more options for the medium shot. Let me know if you think these ones are better than the others I posted.


(This one might only be able to be used as an overall because in the assignment instructions it says the medium photo needs to show the subject's face. I just kind of liked the perspective on this one.)

ONE MORE EDIT-------------------
I promise I won't post any more photos up after this. I'm just struggling with the whole editing process. I overlooked this one that could work well as a detail shot instead of him tattooing up close for the detail, which would allow me to use a tattooing shot for the medium. The tools he has aren't the most interesting, but I think the close up detail on his tattoos and his shirt make up for it and give good insight into his character. What do you guys think?

The overall and detail shots work pretty well. His appearance is begging for a more interesting approach to a medium shot. With the hair, piercings, gauges and tattoos, there's got to be some way you can work all those thing into a frame with a nice moment or some emotion.
ReplyDeleteIs there a different detail, that from that scene that shows more of the tattoo. I feel like he's flipping me off.
Pretty good edit so far Mike.
Ok, I may go entirely different then. I definitely have some medium photos that are more aimed at what you're talking about, but they are mostly with him tattooing someone. I didn't want to do that for the medium and the detailed, so I may go to my backup plan for the detailed shot, which I have some closeups of ink bottles, sanitizer bottles, and tattoo gun pieces. I'll re-edit and post some of those others up.
ReplyDeleteI definitely give you props. These are all really crisp, detailed photos and they definitely give me an idea of what this guy is like and what kind of business it is. I think my favorite one of the group is of him in the mirror except for the little water bottle thing going into his face. Just a little thing that got in the way but I like the concept. I defnitely think some close-up shots on the tattoo artist would be really cool with all his piercings and tattoos, it seems like he would be an interesting character. I can't think of much to improve upon but I would change some angles to get more of the guy being worked on and I'd also probably get more detail shots on the different guns he was usin or other impliments because I know they can look pretty gnarly and would be really interesting subjects. With your new updated photos I think you chose a lot stronger images although I'm not sure what but something seems to be missing. Maybe I'm just crazy, who knows. But keep on trying out different things in the photos and see what works and what doesn't.
ReplyDeleteCool, thanks for the input. I've been looking at these a lot today and the very last one I've posted is growing on me. I like the side profile because it exaggerates his mohawk and the ink on both of his arms and neck are all visible, along with the huge gauged earlobe and all the piercings on his face. The downfall is that it gives the least information about what he does, other than the tattoo chair and gun. I still really like it though. I'm still really torn between the medium shots though. I really like the perspective in the third from bottom shot. The problem I have with using a medium shot of him tattooing someone is that I have to find a different detail shot, so that's what keeps bringing me back to either the shot of him leaning back smiling at his work or the mirror shot. I really thought I had something cool with the mirror idea, but I'm starting to think maybe those photos are kind of useless. I tried working the angle as much as I could and that's the best one of the mirror shots I got. Arghh this gets discouraging sometimes! I might go back and try some more normal shots again as he said I could come back anytime if I needed to.
ReplyDeleteWOW! Nice Job with your shoot! I really like the quality of light in all of your shots....I am insanely jealous! I Love the mirror shot you did. It is just too bad the water bottle is angled at his face. I like the second detail shot, but I wonder about your third detail shot. From the way it is angled and the distance is angled at, it looks as if he is searching for a lure in his tackle box. Maybe your captions will address this. This will be my only suggestion for improvement.
ReplyDeleteWell don't get too bogged down in the details. They are good photos and nothing is going to be perfect. It's all part of the process. It sounds to me like you know what you want from the photos so if you think you could get more of what you want by going back a second time then I'd say you should definitely do it! But I think if you do go back maybe make a list of the things you want from the new set and also write down the things you'd change about the old ones so you won't make the same mistakes twice. Really though, all these look really good so don't get too discouraged.
ReplyDeleteMike, these are some stunning photos. I will have to come back later and comment in greater detail but I could not leave without saying the look great at first glance. You have a lot of good options to choose from.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, thanks for the positive reinforcement. I was about to write all these photos off as garbage and try a completely new subject.
ReplyDeleteI kind of agree with Marily that the third detail shot doesn't work that well. The second one has grown on me; at least it's tack sharp on the needle which helps and it shows a lot of the tattoo. I'll work on additional captions later, but the guy he's doing the back piece on is actually a cover up for a previous tattoo he got of a dirtbike tire track. Now he's wanting to get it covered up with skeleton stuff. I might go back and shoot more, but I may have all the photos I need already. I spent 4 hours shooting but only took 270 photos, and I spent just as much time if not more editing through them. I tried to take it slow and only shoot with a purpose, and as a result I have a huge number of photos that are good (in my opinion), so narrowing it down to only three is proving to be extremely difficult. I was hoping we would have class and would discuss photo editing a little further but that didn't happen.
Mike,
ReplyDeleteAre you CRAZY or are you fishing for compliments :)? These pictures are stunning! why were you going to write them off as garbage? I am amazed by what you were able to capture. In fact, so much so that after spending a lot of time with my subject a second time and seeing your pictures, I am shadowing a second person because what I produced does not even compare to what you have done. Have more confidence in yourself. Oh God, Now I sound like I am channeling Jerome! I have to evict him from my brain! :)
When you put anything under the microscope a molehill becomes a mountain. However, it is that attention to detail that turns a good photographer into a great one. I think part of our growth process is to go beyond growing a thicker skin, and become completely enveloped in calluses'. Besides if you are not making mistakes you are playing it safe and not expanding your comfort zone. In the study of Language acquisition it is said that competency is based on a mountain of errors. Well, when I post my second shoot you will see I am climbing Mount Everest because my results are awful!! At least I can soothe myself by saying I am well on my way of achieving competency in Photojournalism. Mike, keep up the good work and keep pushing yourself!
Haha, thanks. I think I tend to stare at my pictures too long sometimes and over-analyze them until I start picking them apart too much and thinking they're no good.
ReplyDeleteAnd I do tend to push myself pretty hard a lot of times, but like you said, it's the only way to better yourself at something.
I might still go back and try a few more shots; I'm still trying to figure out a way to portray his character a little more in the normal shot. I think I need to exaggerate his mohawk, piercings and tattoos even more somehow but I'm not sure how yet.
Again, Mike, you have some fantastic shots. I just finish my first re-shoot and still haven't come close to your results. You have a great eye for this and I hope to learn a lot from you this semester!
ReplyDeleteFor your overall shot, I actually like your first medium shot after your edit the best. I'm not quite sure if it meets the criteria but it shows enough of the environment that I think it qualifies. It has some details in the foreground, sets a contemplative mood, has a customer's back on the right side and you can see a large part of his shop in the background. It really gives a broad view of the scene and tells me exactly what goes on there. Other details can be filled in with your medium and detail shots.
For your medium shot, I like both photos in your "normal" category. Obviously the first one will not work because of the bottles in front of his face in the reflection or it would be my clear choice. The second one is really nice and gives more detail on what the guy does without showing him tattooing which you can show in your detail shot. However, Jerome commented on my Attempt #1 post that there was not enough change in the scene in my environmental and medium shots and I think the same thing is true for my two favorites for those categories of the photos you took. This is true for the entire set you posted. There is nothing that significantly varies the scene. Fortunately, there is enough interesting stuff and just the right amount of space that maybe you just do not need to vary the scene. I'm kind of surprised Jerome did not mention that and would be curious what he has to say about the matter.
For your detail shot, I absolutely love the bar code photo and I think Jerome is a wimp for criticizing the finger in that photo. But I guess that is the reality of American journalism and I find that unfortunate. The blue color just jumps out, the focal point is perfect and I like the side of his head and ear in the corner of the photo. Since you will probably have to pick another photo, my next choice would be the similar photo where he is tattooing the guy's back. There is just lots of cool stuff to look at and it has several cool graphic elements in the tattoo, the bright background which draws me to the middle of the photo and the contrast between the black gloves and that same white background. Again, this leaves you with little variety with the continuous theme of tattooing, and we are trying to show something different, so I also think the last photo of the artist's hands and the stuff in his lap is a good choice also.
I have to admit that I find all the stuff Jerome is looking for almost impossible to do, at least at my current ability level. You have come closer than I have been able to do so far. In my opinion, the criteria almost seems to hamper a great set of photos in this case. But those are the rules and we all have to follow them. I have already set up shoot number 3 on Saturday with a new subject and am wondering if I should not look into another try if I cannot get that to work out.
Great job! I really enjoyed these photos. And thanks for all of your helpful comments!
Thanks Andreas for the detailed response. I actually never thought about the shot of him leaned back smiling at his work as being an overall candidate rather than a normal. You may be onto something with that idea.
ReplyDeleteI'm still not sure on the detail what to do. I'm not entirely sure on what to do for any of them. I'm just not sure how to vary it up much more than I did. Basically, he either sets up his stuff, tattoos, or goes outside to smoke a cigarette. I didn't really feel like him smoking was all that relevant so I'm left with the other two options.
Jerome did warn me of this when I mentioned the idea of doing a tattoo artist, so the solution may just be to pick a different person and just count this as a good practice session.
I still may have other photos that could work. I just need to look through my batch of photos again and see if there's any I overlooked. I'm finding the editing process to be equally as challenging as the shooting for this assignment. It's hard to select three photos that work together out of a set of 270 mostly solid shots.
Also, I never mentioned this in my post, but parts of the experience were pretty annoying. I'm sure Jerome runs into this at times, but just the nature of the business is that people would randomly drop in and b.s. with the tattoo artist. Well, first of all, they kept getting in the way of my shots. And second, one person in particular kept talking to me and wouldn't leave me alone.
ReplyDelete"Hey, you should take photos of my car and our car club... I have this really cool idea for a picture of my car... My friend's in a band you should take pictures of him... do you develop your own film.." It went on and on for literally an hour as I moved around to avoid him in my shots and he would follow me and get in the way again.
Keeping with the ethics of photojournalism I didn't ask him to move or try to change any of the environment, but it was pretty f-ing annoying to say the least and I really missed out on a couple shots that would have been neat because of him.
One shot that could have been cool for the overall was when my subject's girlfriend was there holding a huge boa constrictor with a couple other tattooed up buddies standing around talking. I think that shot would have given a cool glimpse into the tattoo culture, but as I unpacked my camera the scene went away and it was too late. Bummer.
I do not think shooting him on a smoke break is a bad idea. It tells a little bit more of his story and varies the scene if you can get something interesting. Try a closeup of the glowing tip of the cigarette or an interesting smoke trail.
ReplyDeleteThere were quite a few annoying situations for me too. But the hardest part was that the wavers simple do their little dance back and forth along a twenty foot long path. They do not jump and barely pay attention to the traffic. With their headphones on I do not think they can even hear people when they drive by and honk.
As for picking your shots, one thing I do that might help you is that I copy all of my photos into three folders and then start deleting. I make an overall, medium and detail folder and then eliminate all the files that do not fit into the particular category. After that, I keep trimming the list, one category at a time until I end up with the best five or six in each category. From there I pick the two best ones from each folder and post them on the blog. Then I wait for comments before making the final selection.
This class takes about as much effort by itself as the other four classes I am taking do together. I do not think either Phil or Jerome realize what a huge leap there is between Intermediate Photography and Photojournalism, even from the relatively simple mechanical camera operation perspective. I think a lot of folks are still struggling with exposure and barely have any chance after that to deal with other criteria. But as you said, I am learning a lot! 14 months ago, I was shooting snapshots on program mode. I feel like I have come a long way in a short time.
By the way, I think you are going to make the class record for most comments on a single post for this one.