Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Person at Work - Attempt #2

Today I took another stab at shooting Liz, the Liberty Tax waver on US95 near Appleway.  It was a good day for a snow day but it was darn cold and windy and I was very wet from laying in the snow.

Environment Shots


 Medium Shots


Detail Shot

If I use the first environmental photo, I will probably use the second medium photo.  Since these work somewhat as sets, I will use the second of environmental and first medium shots set if I choose the other option.  This way I can show the most variety.  I tried very hard to get some good photos of Liz putting on her suit and setting up another, older suit that they put up near the main entrance but the lighting is weird and I got my reflection in the glass on some of them so they did not work out again.

My reflection is also in Liz's sun glasses in the second medium shot.  That will probably leave me with the first environmental and second medium shots as my keepers even though I prefer the other two.  I really like my detail shot and I hope you all do to.

I am much happier with this set than my first attempt but I have had so much trouble both times I tried to shoot this that I have set up a completely different thing for Saturday because Mike up-ed the anti with his tattoo parlor photos.  I do not know about the rest of you but I am really struggling with this assignment and must admit that I am somewhat discouraged by my grade on the previous assignment so I am really having to push myself to get this done.


* * * * * * * * * *    Edit    * * * * * * * * * *

Another possible Detail shot
As an after thought, I also decided I liked the following photo because of the
reflection in her sun glasses but I am not so sure I like the up-your-nose aspect.

Does this work as a Medium Shot?
I think it is almost a detail shot rather than a medium shot
but I sure would love to use it as my medium shot.

Another Overall possibility
My wife likes this photo for an overall or environment shot but the crooked roof line bugs me
and the snow is almost painfully white, even though it is not blown out according to my camera.
If I could crop and rotate just a touch, I would seriously consider this one.


One thing I find very frustrating is that I actually have a lot on decent photos but I am just not clear enough on the criteria for the three categories to be sure which one some of these photos fall into and therefore I selected not to use them at all.  There are several nice ones that are on the borderline between two categories.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Andreas, I just saw these and I have no time to write anything but at first glance they look like an improvement over your last take for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike! I tried your suggestion and used a .6 neutral density filter for these photos because it was so bright but I could not get below 1/320 shutter speeds at f/8. I was really hoping that would get me low enough shutter speeds to capture some motion but no luck. No low depth of field either to try to help deemphasize the background either. It was a tough, cold shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I had about 500 words written and clicked on a picture to look at it again and lost everything; that's fun.

    First off, I think your overall and detail shot options are solid. I really like your last detail shot you added. The perspective works in my opinion. It's kind of the shot I had envisioned when I saw your first take. It removes the distracting elements.

    Also, the snow added a neat element to the shots that shows up in the other detail shot. The coffee, gloves, hat and earbuds for music all give insight into who she is and what "tools" she utilizes to keep her going. So I think in that regard you nailed it, which isn't easy to do for this person's job. But I think it's much more effective than the shot of her muddy shoes you had last time. And the reflection on her glasses in the last picture is a nice touch.

    I like the second overall shot better than the first one because it shows some motion, and I think the traffic and roadway is essential to the shot because it gives the information that she waves the sign at cars passing by. The other one could leave a person guessing as to what the hell her job is.

    I don't think either of the normal shots work as well. The first one is kind of boring to me and doesn't really give much useful information or have much of a moment. The second one has your reflection, as you stated, but also the added person probably shouldn't be in the normal shot. I may be wrong on that though.

    What your normal shots are lacking, in my opinion, is a sense of energy and movement. I'm not sure how to capture that, but I really feel the normal shot needs to have some movement of some sort. Does she ever jump off the ground very high? Also, doing the "cool tilt" or whatever you call it might help add some dynamics to the image.

    I'm sure you're sick of shooting this person by now, and I don't blame you, but that's what I would shoot for if you go back to try a normal shot again.

    Overall, I definitely see an improvement in your second take, which is great. And I feel you about the pressure; I feel like I need to be cranking out some pulitzer-worthy photos to ace this class, but at the same time I like being pushed really hard to do better.

    Good luck with your other shoot if you do it. I'm still debating whether I have the time to do another person or if I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey, if you want to try my .9 nd filter or stack it onto your .6 you can use it. If you have a 70-200 2.8 it should fit it as it's 77mm. With the two combined you could probly shoot pretty wide open at maybe even 1/80 or somethin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just googled sign waver and found some cool images. Check this one out. This is the kind of moment I really think one of your photos needs to capture.

    http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article885533.ece

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andreas,

    I agree with Mike in that I see improvement on your second shoot.

    On the medium shot, I prefer the second over the first one. Part of the Person's Job is to interact with traffic but also be aware of what their co-workers are doing. Also Statue of Liberty Tax mascots' are not known for their acrobats. I don't think Cirque du Soleil scouts are secretly watching them to recruit them for their next show. I think they are kind of boring so, I will disagree with Mike. I think you captured an accurate perspective on what they do. As for your last detail shot, is not bad but I don't think you will get the ever elusive and coveted seal of approval -A+- from Jerome.

    I don't think this is the type of picture that only a otolaryngologist would love, for a nasal disorder cannot be diagnosed by looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the re-shoot much better than your original shoot. I think my favorite of your environmental shots is the second one, I think the impact of the snow and traffic give it more volume. You're second medium shot I like too, but my favorite is the detail shot of the person drinking coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.