If I concentrate on the actual event participants, I may capture emotion, but I end-up cropping limbs hands or freezing odd moments.
On Saturday I covered 2 events. The all Star game at NIC, and a Belly Dance Show at a Chinese restaurant in Spokane. The second event was my favorite, however, the lighting was a challenge for me and trying to find different angles that included the audience very difficult--Belly dancers like to move around specially in a very small stage. I am not much of a basketball fan, but I LOVE BELLY DANCERS!!!
The first one is of a Northern team fan checking her phone while she was creating a "I love Northern Idahoans." The South Team practices in the background.
The second shot is of a 4 year old that was rooting for her aunt, except her number is upside down and her aunts number was #5.
This shot I like, but having a overly stimulated fan projecting out of a players pelvis is somewhat odd.
___________________________________________________________________
Saturday Event #2 Belly Dancers at a Chinese Restaurant- Stage size - Two full table areas--Small
Egyptian Cabaret dancer
Tribal Fusion Belly Dancer
KEEPER.
A dancer from Portland Oregon by the stage name on Shining performs a folkloric Egyptian Baladi inspired belly dance number on Saturday Mach 12 at a Chinese restaurant Located in Hillyard, WA. This community event showcases dancers of all levels and is organized by members of the belly dance troupe known as Baharat. Namva an active member of Baharat owns the Chinese Restaurant.
BASKET BALL GAME
ReplyDeleteI really like your first photo of the girl drawing her sign wit the players in the background. I think this photo gives us a good idea of what it was like this this young girl to be at the game. It is well composed and the sign and the edge of the stage create some nice lines through the photo. Good work! You are getting better at this! Maybe I am also?
You caught a nice moment with the little girl in the second photo but it does not tie the game and audience together very much. It does give us another great example of what it was like to be there. There is a nice triangle shape created by the little family to the girls left and the line on the edge of the court creates a line that keeps my eye from leaving the scene and adds perspective.
Your last photo is nice but it would have been nice to see a slightly more exciting scene from the game. The audience portion of the shot seems to be exactly what we are looking for.
BELLY DANCER
The last photo seems to be the closest to my understanding of what we are looking for. The lighting and mood of all of your photos in this set are very nice. The repeating pattern of the wall and table lamps create a nice rhythm that add interest to the photos.
The picture on the wall behind the dancer creates the same problem I had in some of my portrait shots earlier in the semester and are a little distracting around your subjects head. Since we talked about this so much I am guessing there was little you could do about this.
Overall, the last photo is the most successful in my opinion. It has the best elements, the audience is watching and I can see them clearly. It would be nice if there were more audience participation but I am sure you captured all the scene had to offer in that respect. Except for the wall picture behind the dancer's face, which is a minor consideration, this is a very strong shot.
You worked hard! I think you have some nice results and I would go for either the girl lying on the stage at the basketball game or the last belly dancer shot. Once again I am curious to see what Jerome has to say and am sure he will give you the best advice.
The top basketball shot is a nice change of pace. It shows a different point of view and highlights how the spectators get involved in the "north vs. south" game. It's not a lot of action or emotion, but it gives a nice behind the scenes kind of insight that most people would get from seeing an game shot.
ReplyDeleteThe last belly dancer shot is almost there. I like the perspective and how it shows the attendees all turned to watch the dancing. It gives a nice focus and intent of an interesting situation and event. I wish there was a bit more shift of perspective toward the crowd while keeping the belly dancer in there. Maybe a shot that showed the torso of the belly dancer with the crowd behind her. It would have been the same idea of your shot, but with a bit more isolation on the crowd. But that's a bit nit picky.
Good job finding those different perspectives and situation Marily.
Woo Hoo!!! Finally, some progress on my part. Jerome, I take back every mean thing I said about you... You have made back to my Favorite People list:) Although I complaint quite a bit, I do appreciate your high expectations. I have never been so happy with a tiny bit of progress in my whole life. Bar none!
ReplyDeleteAndreas, thank you so much for your comprehensive evaluation. I was so overwhelmed with the requirements, that I could not see the forest for the trees.