Here's a dance class that I took photos of last night. I am very indecisive as to which one would be a good one.
I like the fun smiles of these people.
This one is just funny because it looks like he is scared to get hit by her.
This has good motion.....i guess....
I like this because they are really having fun and made a few bobbles in the steps but i don't like the arm coming out of her shoulder.
These two show the instructor calling out the steps as he teaches/dancing.
What do you think? Does it even qualify as an event photo???
Heidi,
ReplyDeleteKudos for covering another event! My choice out of all the ones you posted, would be the very first one. Both the instructor and the participant appear to be enjoying themselves. I like the perspective of the third one, and the emotion of the 4th one, but I Think the first one is your cleanest frame and intimates the number of people in the class. I think you did a good job keeping your frame as de-cluttered as possible. The Hayden Meadows Cafeteria has a lot of things on the wall.
Heidi, the first thing I see before enlarging any of your photos is that they are all shot from the 6x6 perspective we talked about in class. This gives them all a very similar look and feel. I think you really needed to get down low and shoot up at these people.
ReplyDeleteThe last two are the cleanest but both have a lot of background clutter. This might have been helped by crouching down to get as much of the dancers of the cluttered walls as possible.
These shots are still good but I think your first basketball shot is still the strongest even though it has some motion blur.
I know you covered several events. Way to put in the effort! I would have commented more extensively but I have to go to class.
Your second and fourth shots I think are the best because they capture a little moment that highlights the "dangers" and fun of dance classes. The others capture people dancing and the third shot takes a bit of a different (lower) perspective.
ReplyDeleteThe venue sucks. Lunch tables as backgrounds aren't doing you any favors. That's nothing that you can control, but whenever I get into scenes like this I usually complain to myself a little and then find a way to minimize the distractions in the background.
Moments do a lot for photos as long as the images are usable. Not to say that a guy laughing in an out-of-focus, underexposed shot it good. But if you have a decent composition that's usable and a well exposed and in focus shot, that moment of the guy laughing or almost being hit in the face offers a bit more connection for the reader than just a shot of people dancing.
Andreas is right about the 6x6 perspective. It seems a lot of the class is a little timid about getting right up to people and not shooting whole body shots for every take. It's intimidating for sure to get close to someone with a camera, but with practice, you'll see that it really makes a difference on how you see and construct an image in the frame.
Good job Heidi.