Special thanks to Shawn Gust shooting the event for the CDA Press. He gave us some great tips that radically changed the outcome of this shoot for me. Also thanks to freelancer Jason Duchow who gave my some great ideas before the event started. All of the photographers at the event were eager to help and I talked with quite a few of them. I looked for people with white lenses, introduced myself and started asking questions.
I really like the facial expression of the girl holding the
ball and the hair and arms of the girl behind her.
I just wish I had not chopped off the legs and feet.
This is probably my keeper and is as close to showing
what I understand to be what Jerome is looking for.
I also like the triangle shape created by the players.
But I wish I had zoomed out just a touch more.
I'm glad I got names, interesting details and a quote
from each of the 57 people in this shot!!!
If there was a ball in this photo, I would seriously
have thought of making this my keeper. The ref
in her armpit is a shame. Darn ref!
Andreas, I think you did a nice job capturing some different moments of the game. However, what I think would've been outstanding is maybe using the crowd as your subject with a fairly selective focus so that the players are in the frame, but are out of focus so it draws the attention to the people watching. In all of these photos I find myself looking to the people in the background for some possible interesting shots. For example, in the third photo to the right side there are some people watching that have their hands to their faces in anticipation. I feel that if you zoomed in on those faces to capture that emotion, while still having some somewhat obvious elements in the frame of what they are watching, it would've been alot more effective. Having said that, I think the different shots you have of the players are good, but maybe trying some different perspectives could've brought the photos to the next level. Nice job overall and great job going out and trying so many different events!
ReplyDeleteI just looked again at all of your different takes, and I really have to commend you for covering 6 different events for this assignment. I didn't realize you did so many before. Go Andreas!
ReplyDeleteI just looked at what Shawn Gust of the CDA Press put in the paper for this same event. Yes, his are better than mine. But not hugely better than mine. I might just very, very, very slowly be getting better at this.
ReplyDeleteThe one you selected as a keeper is probably the one I would have chosen as well. It has peak action. You're getting better in your timing for sure and shooting a lot of sports helps.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny that you say you wished you had zoomed out a little more. I was thinking I wished you would have shot it vertical to crop into the action more.
Brittney brings up a good point in that the crowd looks like they were into the plays, but I look toward the players first. I think the crowd reaction would have trumped the action shot and would have fit the bill of the assignment a little more.
Per the assignment requirements: "The main purpose behind this assignment is for you to capture an event that gives some insight into what it was like to be there."
These action shots fit the bill in giving us some insight what the event was like to watch the athletes. But what's lacking is that connection to let people get an eye full of those adjectives and adverbs.
What's funny is, not one person posted anything from the slam dunk competition which has the most reaction from the crowd and other athletes.
Nice work Andreas. I really like the looks on the guys faces in the background on the one you picked. they are pretty funny. The motion of the ball and movement of the girls are are well captured.
ReplyDeleteI didn't pick any of my ones I took from the slam dunk contest because there WEREN'T any crowd reactions...it was a pretty lame slam dunk contest to be honest.