Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Discussion Photos

I chose the following image of Afghan illigal inmigrants protesting in Athens, Greece because it combined many of the elements our book discusses. It has a a powerful combination of artistic elements--Selective focus on the center protestor, contrasting black tape as opposed to the other members, dynamic angle, emotional expression and excellent framing.


This is a picture are of Afghan "Immigrants and asylum seekers with their mouths taped protest in Athens to demand asylum. An estimated half a million illegal immigrants and asylum seekers live in the Mediterranean state of about 11 million inhabitants." John Kolesidis/Reuters



Now the second photo from GettyImages covers the same topic from a different angle has a different feel and impact. There is less of an emotional connection on this picture.
Same center subject different impact.









2 comments:

  1. Interesting shots Marily. The symbolism is definitely powerful and the eyes in the second shot are intense. I wonder if there are any photographers working the other side of the issue and showing how these asylum seekers are being affected by the policies and reaction from residents of Athens.
    For me these shots work and serve a purpose, but it would be interesting to see what the wider shots showed, who was watching the protest and where it was staged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jerome, especially now that we have discussed these photos in class. I think either of these photos would make a good follow up to another photo showing a broader picture of what is going on. However, I think they are great choices for our discussion purposes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.