Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Project Homeless Connect







Unlike Andreas, while I obtained permission from the individuals involved, I failed to retain their names, last names and ages. I went to this event with the goal of shadowing Jerome and learning how to approach people in a way that makes them comfortable. I noticed Jerome observes first and he keeps his camera inconspicuous before he approaches people.

In the area where they were providing veterinary care for the dogs or pets, Jerome established rapport with the dogs first and then he approached the owners. Once the dogs approved of him it was like the owners and Jerome had and instant connection. It was eye opening to see how much pride the homeless took in taking care of the dogs. They took better care of their pets than they did of themselves. I noticed in my nervousness I engaged in conversation longer than I should have, becoming overly involved with the people instead of practicing being a passive observer. I find this to be so difficult to balance.

I picked these pictures because they were the ones that had the least camera shake. My camera's higher ISO is 1600 and my lens lowest f-stop is 3.5 I was so overwhelmed trying to capture some form of emotion that the graphic/artistic aspect is very much nonexistent. I am beyond frustrated!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I have to say that I am impressed. You led me to believe your photos were terrible and they are not. I think they are quite good. Your middle photo is much better than any of the ones I got of the same gentleman getting his hair cut. You managed to get the stylist and the entire scene adding more interesting aspects to your photo than I did. The first photo is pretty good also. The last photo might not have captured an ideal moment but it has some interesting aspects anyway, I like the motion in the guy's arms showing that he is petting his dog. Especially for a first attempt, I think you should be quite proud of your accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Andreas. The photos are in no way horrible.

    Here's my thoughts on the three photos: I like how the man is looking at the camera, but I also think the guy next to him with the beard looks interesting too, and so it may have been a more successful shot to include those two in the photo rather than having the guy standing with his hand in his pocket in the frame.

    I think the second photo is very nicely framed. I like the perspective of being at eye-level with the man getting his hair trimmed. It may have been even more interesting to get down just a little lower.

    The third shot has neat things going on in it. I think the perspective is the only drawback. I wonder if there would have been a way to get in closer, maybe down lower, and shoot with a wide angle getting both of the people's faces in the shot and the dog's face too. Possibly shooting from a little more to the right would have enabled you to get the woman's face in the shot a little bit too.

    All in all, these are great photos. I know how hard it is to cover indoor events with a lens that's not particularly fast in low light. I think you did a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These aren't bad at all for your first attempt at an assignment like this Marily.
    The first shot is very much a snapshot, but technically is accurate. The second shot fills the frame nicely and has a nice flow to it. It's very hard to get anything out of that emotional or even a moment. Not to say it wasn't there, but it was hard to find that connection in a short amount of time. And with most events like this, the participants are very guarded.
    I agree with Mike on the third shot and a closer proximity could have made this feel less "spectatorish" and more involved.
    As for engaging in conversation more than shooting, finding that balance takes time. You have to find your "out" during the conversation so you can transition to shooting. But you don't want to be rude. I was 15 minutes late to my 11 o'clock because I started talking to the guy in your first shot. And I never even made a picture of him. Remember, you have to be human first and photojournalist second whether that is in a life or death event or something as simple as holding a conversation with someone.
    Good job Marily. Now stop doubting yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.