



Hey guys, kind of a cool story (for me anyways). This past summer, my second cousin & her family came up from CA to visit. Knowing that I was very interested in photography, she mentioned that her best friend was a photographer and she told me to look at his website. I did look it up, and was blown away by his amazing talent in sports photography, as well as other types of photography.
Just a few minutes ago, I looked up the website again. Upon viewing the images, I realized that we have all seen many of his photographs before. I.e.: The "water under the bridge" swimming photo we saw in that video about Sports Illustrated. Anyways, he has won many awards for his work, and has received 1st and 2nd places pretty religiously for "The Best of Photojournalism" for the past few years.
I thought it would be appropriate to share this with all of you since we talked about sports photography last time in class. So here's just a little taste of what he is all about. Check out his website and let me know what you think!
Wow, his work is absolutely amazing. I especially like the ironman series of photos. Thanks for sharing this
ReplyDeleteYou posted some amazing photos! My favorite is the first one because of its high contrast. The hand in the second photo almost looks like the swimmer is going to smash the bridge behind him. The third is a great example of formal balance. The last one makes a really strong statement about uphill battles since it is has that strong diagonal that is steeply uphill but the runner also has an artificial leg. Again, these are great choices!
ReplyDeleteDon Miralle's work has always blew me away. He's very inventive when it comes to his photography. He was the first to dig a hole outside a rodeo chute and put a camera in it under plexiglass. He also kicks ass at surfing shots with underwater gear. He is a regular on my "shooters list" that I look at for inspiration. I give Don two thumbs up.
ReplyDeleteGreat selection of pics!
ReplyDeleteCan anyone tell me what is the "recipe" for the last shot? How do you capture a moon that big? What type of lens was he using besides the long exposure?
Marily, I doubt the exposure was very long at all for two reasons. The first is that the moon moves fairly quickly and even using a tripod, a one or two second exposure will create motion blur simply from the motion of the moon. Secondly, the jogger will produce motion blur in a longer exposure.
ReplyDeleteAgain, this is my best guess and I may be wrong. I hope this helps a little bit.
My best guess is that the photographer used a telephoto lens of some kind and shot from a distance or cropped the photo if it was shot with a shorter lens. He probably put himself in the right position, setup his camera on a tripod and exposed for the bright moon before the jogger got there. Then all he had to do was wait for the jogger to get to the correct position. In this photo, exposing for the bright moon would create a silhouette in pretty much anything you place between the camera and the moon.
I might be wrong but I think that was probably shot at a very long focal length to bring the moon in as close as possible. It would be cool to know the exif data.
ReplyDelete