Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Social Issue Oil prices are an every ones mind these days and people are actually struggling to get buy on just a minimum wage pay. The economy is shot because we are purchasing way too over priced oil and petroleum products in eastern countries when there is nicer cheaper oil right above us in Canada. With gas near four dollars a gallon and diesel fuel over four and a half we are draining the economy and plunging are self's into years of debt. I believe this is a important social issue that we need to fix right away because its starting to effect people's life's. A normal minimum wage worker spends at least 60% of his/her paycheck on gas just to drive back and forth between the job and home. If we don't change either what powers are cars or lower gas prices soon, I feel that America will never be debt free.

4 comments:

  1. Rob: nice composition, but I'm left wondering, "How does this show problems with gas prices?". Maybe if you repositioned yourself and shot the photo with the dollar mount rising on the screen and his face in the frame too, looking distressed/ cringing/showing some type of emotion that explains how he feels about the gas prices, your message could've been communicated better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photo!

    You caption has quite a few typos and I do not think "I believe..." fits into a journalistic caption or story. Speaking from an "I" perspective makes it an editorial or opinion piece. Had you added two or three researched details, such as statistics about income and gas prices or overall cost of living and the impact of higher gas prices, it would have been much stronger and could very well have made a very solid photo/caption combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that what could have made the photo really work was get in real close with a wide angle lens and get the fuel price in the frame with the guy too. Especially if he filled it from empty and had a pretty big tank. If the price was 60 or 70 bucks you could have incorporated that into the caption that it now costs so and so x amount of money to fill his tank when it used to cost x amount last year, or whatever.

    Also, there should absolutely be a name with the guy's photo in the caption. A journalistic photo caption can't include any of your opinion and shouldn't tell why you think this is an issue. The issue should be clear to the reader just by reading the facts pertaining to the photo.

    You could have gotten really, really creative and tried to shoot the pump reflection in his sunglasses. Probly wouldn't have worked, but worth a try

    ReplyDelete
  4. I a gree with all of you on every thing, I dident plan this one too well and I could have done much better. I actualy did take a picture of the gas pump meter when he was pumping but rookie mistake of not posting that photo.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.