Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Influential Editor Insight

“I’m 92 years old, and I’ve survived a lot of crises in photojournalism,” he said. “I find the present situation depressing, but I’m crazy enough to be hopeful. There have never been more images out there, and we need more help in sorting out all the information.” — John G. Morris on the 'death' of photojournalism in 2008


Photographers are responsible for capturing images, but it ultimately is the editors decision on which images get sent out. More so before the "digital age" changed how images were sent out to the world. John G. Morris is responsible for sending out some of the most iconic, moving and society-changing images ever captured. This man has had his hands and eyes on more award-winning images than any other editor. 

The following videos are a little insight into this man and what he looks for in an image. As always, editing is always subjective. But there's no denying Morris has a gift.

If you have time, watch these videos, discuss and be prepared to share your ideas on the theories and concepts he presents.

WARNING — The first video is almost eight minutes long. The other four are 15 minutes each. 





3 comments:

  1. Wow, I just watched the Eleven Frames video and it just astounds me howmuch of a change the digital age has brought in so many ways. In the part where the man was telling about how most of the film from D-day was destroyed just was the most apparent example of one of the great upsides to digital photography. But I would love to meet thisJohn Morris. He seems like he could give so much insight into the way images affect people and what photography can do for the world. He seems like a very wise man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the first two videos. I definitely have a lot to learn from Morris. I can't believe the type of pressure on photographers and photo editors back in the day when covering these groundbreaking stories on war. Deadline pressure would be crazy as slow as things took to process photos and get them in print.

    I have so much respect for photojournalists who regularly put themselves into dangerous and tragic situations such as war and disasters. I don't think I'm cut out for that, nor do I have in interest in doing it, but I'm glad some people do. I can't imagine the types of things people like Capa and Nachtway have seen in their lives. Wow. The photo in the first interview video of Nachtway photographing the guy with the gun just goes to show how close they come to the danger.

    I don't know if you guys have been following the news in Libya lately but journalists are continually going missing down there. Some have been found and realeased, but others are still missing. Pretty unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you think of all the iconic images that have documented history, when you think about it they're all burned into our memories ultimately because someone decided that image would run in print. That kind of puts the importance of the photo editor in perspective I think.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.