So, as some of you know, I went to New York this last week with The Sentinel for the College Media convention. I've really taken a liking to Chip Litherland's work lately. I've always appreciated contrasty b&w stuff and thought that may be my style, but lately I've kind of been digging Chip's style of finding situations where color really pops out in the image. So, here's a couple of shots I took where the colors really popped against the background. The first one I took at the John Lennon memorial in strawberry Fields. The second one is of Noura sitting out in front of our hotel. I did edit both of these first in lightroom and then in Photoshop. I also tried to slightly underexpose each as chip said he often does. What do y'all think? Too vibrant or no?

(Exif: 200mm, 1/160, f/3.2, ISO 400)

Exif: (50mm, 1/60, f/2.0, ISO 100)
Nice job, Mike. I'm kind of a black and white guy myself. It is only recently that I have started to think of color as an element rather than something that just happens to be in a photo.
ReplyDeleteThanks Andreas. Once you start looking you'll notice backgrounds that are naturally pretty grayed out so it's just a matter of placing something colorful in front of them. He definitely influenced my shooting. I love his style
ReplyDeleteMike, I want to know the story behind the Imagine photo...why are there apples on the floor and flowers framing it?
ReplyDeleteIt's the memorial mosaic thing where John Lennon got shot in Central Park. There's always apples and flowers laid out on it like that. It's at Strawberry Fields in Central Park.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI really like that first photo; I love what it's about. John Lennon is one of my favorite musicians of all time. It definitely works because of the neutrality of the gray against the vibrance of the colors resting on top. I think you definitely captured the essence of him in this shot. Nice perspective, great colors, great job
ReplyDelete(Accidentally removed the last comment haha. oops)