This photo won Ed 3rd prize in the National Press Photographers
Association's Best of Photojournalism awards in 2009.
"Ta-Bo, a 45-year-old engineer, reads anime in the company of his anatomically
correct love dolls, which he uses for companionship and sex, in his apartment in Tokyo.
According to him, real women are too much trouble because they are expensive, high
maintenance, and often unfaithful." (Source: bob.nppa.org)
This photo made available by World Press Photo in Amsterdam, Netherlands,
Friday, Feb, 12, 2010, shows the first prize in the Contemporary Issues Stories
category of the 2010 World Press Photo contest. The photo, by American
photographer Eugene Richards, Reportage by Getty Images for The Sunday
Times Magazine/Paris Match, is named "War Is Personal, USA."
Credit: AP Photo/Eugene Richards, Reportage by Getty Images for The Sunday
Times Magazine/Paris Match
Why I picked these photos:
I picked these photos for one simple reason this week. Due to our current assignment, I have been thinking about access to the details and moments in people's lives and how we, as photographers, get permission from the subjects to be a part of their intimate moments and document them. The caption for the first photo is also a great example of the who, what, where and why components we talked about two weeks ago.
Both of these photos are award winning and have several interesting aspects to them that help tell a story. But the simple fact that a photographer was able to take the photo without paparazzi techniques amazes me and has me thinking about my approach to communicating with others in light of what we have discussed in class.


Andreas interesting selection!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read the caption of the first pictured, I was curious as to the gender of the photographer that had access to such setting and if this picture/ story had been published by an award winning newspaper or award winning magazine?
In my curiosity I discovered that Reuters had done a story on the same man in July 18th 2007. Ed took these pics in December of 2008. I am just wondering how does Getty Images goes about pitching this pictures to news outfits when this story has already been covered?
Also , the caption states that the dolls "are anatomically correct." I understand that at 24mm some distortion may occur, but I have never met any female that has a chest that resembles a deployed airbag. Except for those that willingly seek aftermarket upgrades!
Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this picture won? Does anyone know? Interesting expose on the voiceless "Love Doll" market
Relating to the people you are photographing and showing that you understand and/or have the ability to convey their message or lifestyle is a good way to get access. Putting on a flash and chasing someone down the street isn't the way to get access. Compassion, understanding and people skills are a must in this profession.
ReplyDeleteAs for the photos, the "love doll" shot shows a lot of that understanding and the ability to convey a somewhat normal activity in a very odd situation. The light, composition and body language of the man reading provides a very insightful picture that portrays how important his dolls are to him. And that caption gives some good insight into why that is.
The Eugene Richards shot is awesome because of not only the access, but the subtle details in the composition. The framing of the curvature of the soldier's head against the blank part of the wall and the embrace of the caretaker all add to a very moving image without a lot of "in-your-face" emotion.
Good finds Andreas.
Jerome,
ReplyDeleteOn the first shot, given that Ta-Bo has had difficulty with women, do you suppose a female photographer could have gained the same access? I wonder about this given that the subject has misogynistic elements to his personality.
I absolutely agree that compassion, understanding and people skills are paramount to the profession, but I also think there are limitations to such skills.
BTW, welcome back!
I was finally able to track down the caption for the lower photo...
ReplyDelete"Iraq war veteran Jose Pequeño is helped out of his hospital bed by his mother in a picture by U.S. photographer Eugene Richards. Pequeño lost 40 percent of his brain when a grenade exploded in his patrol vehicle in the Iraqi city of Ramadi.
From the start of the conflict to the end of 2009, more than 4,300 U.S. military personnel were killed and about 30,000 wounded."